There was an error in this gadget

Friday

Feeling Discouraged? Comforting and Encouraging Bible Verses are Good News for Seniors Dealing With The Sandwich Generation Issues


Have the Sandwich Generation issues of life started wearing you down? Are you feeling somewhat discouraged? It happens to most of us, at times.
When I start to see it in my life, I turn to the encouraging Bible verses in the Word of God. Especially those I've already underlined, as I know they have had special meaning for me in the past and are likely to again. 
I read these encouraging Scriptures over again - sometimes several times. I also use them as simple Scripture prayers, changing the words be appropriate to my current situation. And if there are "instructions" in them, I try to follow them. 
Today, for example, I was reading Psalm 92 (NASB). I have to admit, this is a favorite of mine because of verse 14 - "They will still yield fruit in old age; They shall be full of sap and very green." As a baby boomer flirting with my senior citizen status (depending on what restaurant I am in ;) ), I especially love the promises of God in the Bible, that I will be yielding fruit even in my old age - not because I am great, but because HE is great! 
Here's some of Psalm 92:
 It is good to give thanks to the LORD And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High;
2 To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning And Your faithfulness by night...
4 For You, O LORD, have made me glad by what You have done,
I will sing for joy at the works of Your hands.
5 How great are Your works, O LORD ! Your thoughts are very deep....
8 You, O LORD, are on high forever.
9 For, behold, Your enemies, O LORD, For, behold, Your enemies will perish; All who do iniquity will be scattered....
12 The righteous man will flourish like the palm tree, He will grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
13 Planted in the house of the LORD, They will flourish in the courts of our God.
14 They will still yield fruit in old age; They shall be full of sap and very green,
15 To declare that the LORD is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him.

And here are some of my simple Scripture prayers from it:

Dear Lord, I thank you for my family, my good health, and that my arthritis is flaring up but that I'm still able to keep moving. I praise You for the birds singing even though it's a cloudy day. 
Thank You for keeping me safe as I slept last night, and bless my beloveds and myself with a safe day in You.
Thank You Lord for providing for my needs yesterday, with the book that I found at the library. 
Thank You that YOU will protect me from my enemies - especially the unseen spiritual ones that attack me with fear, worry, and concern. Please deliver me from evil and from the evil one. 
Thank You for Your promises to use me to bring glory to You, even in my old age. Even when I am so busy with all the Sandwich Generation issues of life, that I wonder how that can be. Thank you for reminding me of Joseph, and how You used him, even when he was sold into slavery and then put in prison. 
Lord, with the psalmist, I choose to declare that the LORD is upright, that You are my rock, and that there is unrighteousness in You. Thank You! I praise You.
The more worried or upset I might be, the more fervently I will pray from verses like these - often out loud. It's amazing how powerful God's Word is - including when it's spoken out loud.

I also try to follow the "advice" in this passage - to "sing praises...sing for joy." Now, I'm afraid I don't have the most glorious voice in the world. I'm very grateful for another Psalm that says, "Make a joyful noise!" :) But I love to turn on praise and worship hymn songs and music and listen to it, and sing along with it. I find it such a comfort. When my husband died, I listened to it all day long for weeks. It helped me to focus on God and His comfort rather than giving in to overwhelming sorrow. Most of the praise and worship music I listen to has actual Bible verses interwoven in the words or is based on the Word of God and that encourages me to no end.

I have learned, through experience, that when the Sandwich Generation issues are getting to me, encouraging and comforting Bible verses, spoken or sung, are a wonderful prescription for this senior! How about you? What are some of your favorite verses? We'd love to hear.

15 comments:

  1. That's such a lovely post. Thanks for sharing. Love the red, red heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dear, I loved the verses you used. I was thinking about trees today and how they relate in the bible. It was very nice to see you posting that! thanks for stoppin by my blog, it was very encouraging what you wrote and definately made me look at the whole thing differently! the house we are moving into has housed so many people including both sets of my grandparents when they were older and in need, so this is the house i grew up in and that my kids will grow up in and that their great grandparents helped build and planted on. pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen - Thanks for the inspiration!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great and encouraging post! hugs, K

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very inspiring post to contemplate for this Holy Week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post - and thanks too for stopping by at my place!

    XOXO Lola)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again!

    Great post!

    Look forward to *seeing* you again soon and hope you have a good weekend,

    XOXO Lola )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that quote since my age is climbing too...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post, it touched my heart. Thank you for swinging in and leaving such a sweet comment. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, its so lovely to meet you and have you visit my page... I sing songs to the Lord in my mind and speak out Bible verses, I have so many favoured ones, don't which one I like the best??? But the Lord brings them to mind as needed. The one that is there just now is, "Create in me a clean heart of Lord and renew a right spirit within me." I don't know how anyone could manage life wihout a faith in Jesus..they don't know what they are missing I guess. hugs Crystal xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. WONDERFUL ENCOURAGEMENT! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I realize more as I get older how valuable it was for me to learn hymns and Bible verses when I was young. God will often bring a song to my mind to cheer my heart. Thank your for your encouragement and prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh girl, that is me! I have a 5 year old and an 89 year old father and a mom almost 77. Both have cancer. Mama currently in rehab ... needing to get a loan so she can have 24 hour care. I am their main "caregiver" -- making decisions for them. SIGH! I have been gone all day -- running back and forth between their two locations and trying to pick my child up from day camp at church. But by the grace of God ....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Karen, Isn't that wonderful. There are days I get so irritated at all I've forgotten but those sweet old hymns and encouraging Bible verses I learned when I was a kid just keep on coming back. God is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Beth, that's so hard to have both parent's having such issues. We've been dealing with multiple issues in our family off and on as well over the last few years and I know how difficult it can be. And you are so right, it's all "by the grace of God." I know that's the only way I keep on keeping on. You're in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete