There was an error in this gadget

Thursday

ElderCare Chat On Twitter for the Sandwich Generation Issues Of Caring For the Elderly Parents In Our Family

Twitter has turned out to be a great resource for this Sandwich Generation granny nanny. I find useful links to help with babysitting grandchildren, encouraging Bible verses to lift my spirits, and great compadres who are also caring for the elderly - whether their parents or senior citizens living in their care facilities. As you can imagine, they are a wonderful resource of information and encouragement.


Recently, I've been able to "attend" a one hour ElderCare Chat on Twitter. These occur every other Wednesday from 1 - 2 pm EST and you are invited to join as well. The next one is March 9, 2011 at 1 pm EST. Just turn on your favorite Twitter "client" (I use Tweetdeck) and watch for the tweets with #eldercarechat . (Feel free to email me at SandwichINK@SandwichINK.com if you have questions :) ).

If you don't use Twitter or can't make that time, you can check out my Twitter Updates in the right column (and, of course, I'd love for you to follow me @SandwichINK :) ). They usually update fairly quickly, so I would check fairly close to the time. In the meantime, you can click on the above link to see the whole chat, here's some useful info from the last couple of Elder Care Chats:

Denise Brown at Caregiving.com is collecting your caregiving story - and it only takes 6 words!
Mine was: Sandwich Generation Elderly Parents-Babysitting Grandchildren - although I wish now I'd made it Sandwich Generation = Elderly Parents + Babysitting Grandchildren (Can you tell I'm helping with junior high math and writing algebra expressions. :)  ) If you click to go there and leave your 6 words, we'd love to hear about them here as well. :)

Speaking of Denise, I loved her comment, "In my family, my parents are still in good health. My mom has designated me; I'm a family caregiver in waiting." That was me for several years. If you have senior parents in good health, it's so vital to set things up now for the future - things like a durable power of attorney, medical directives, a will, a list of their wishes, etc. take a lot of time to set up, but you'll be so glad to have it done when a crisis occurs!

And for those of us who are in the throes of actively caring for the elderly parents in our family, be sure to share those power of attorneys and medical directives with every medical team you work with - your senior parent's doctor, the hospital, and any other medical personnel you have to work with. Plus I always keep a copy in my purse, just in case. Even when they put them into the computers, not every place I've had to go to had them available. It really pays to have a copy with you.

Michelle, from Seniors For Living, had a great link to share for a Wall Street Journal article, A Referee for Family Disputes.

A geriatric care manager can be a big help to those of us caring for elderly parents, particularly from a long distance. Amy Magan from The4thFrog shared the link to the National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers.

Angela Krakker had a great suggestion, "Certified Senior Advisors can help in planning with planning for caregivng needs," along with a link for the Society of Certified Senior Advisors.

Craig Fukushima of FoxGroup shared Carol Marak's Tips for lowering high blood pressure - good for both our senior parents as well as those of us caring for our elderly parents. :)

This was just SOME of the great info at the last two ElderCare chats. We'd love to have you join us for the next ElderCare Chat on Twitter, on March 9, 2011 at 1 pm EST. It really is an excellent resource for all of us in the Sandwich Generation dealing with the wide variety of issues that go along with caring for the beloved elderly parents in our families. And don't forget to pop over to SandwichINK for daily info, resources, and encouragement for all of us in the Sandwich Generation. :) 



5 comments:

  1. Thank you Kaye for highlighting the Eldercarechat sessions on Twitter. The group participating has been diverse in background but unified in their passion, interest and knowledge about eldercare issues. It's been a very rewarding and educational experience participating in the discussions and I would encourage everyone with an interest in eldercare to join in.

    I applaud your efforts to bring eldercare issues to the forefront-keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to echo Craig's sentiments, Kaye. You've been such an inspiration to those of us who hold eldercare issues near and dear to our hearts. Thanks so much for sharing our chats with your readers -- we look forward to "meeting" them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twitter is something that I have no idea about! I think I must lack behind in the techie stakes.
    I enjoyed reading your blog, and I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also clueless with Twitter, and I don't really have time to follow..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's wonderful that Twitter could do this. I have never been on Twitter but what a great resource.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete